The Aultman-miller Co.—The Aultman-Miller Co. was a long established concern, having a plant for the manufacture of harvesting machines and twine at Akron, Ohio; its machines, moreover, had a considerable reputation. This company became bankrupt in 1903, and was bought from the trustees in bankruptcy in July, 1903, by one Judge Vincent, who had business relations with some of the chief stockholders of the International Harvester Co, who financed this purchase. Judge Vincent reorganized this concern as The Aultman & Miller Buckeye Co., and some of the principal stockholders in the International Harvester Co. became the controlling factors in the new company.
It was operated as an independent concern under the management of a former employee of the International Harvester Co., but its business consisted chiefly in furnishing repair parts for the machines of the old Aultman-Miller Co., and in the manufacture of binder twine. The plant and property of this company was conveyed to the International Harvester Co. in the autumn of 1905, and while the manufacture of binder twine was continued, the manufacture of harvesting machines was dropped and auto vehicles made instead.
In a letter prepared by C. S. Funk (now general manager of the International Harvester Co.) for Harold F. McCormick, dated October 15, 1903, the value of the plant property was estimated at $555,928, of which $91,061 was for the twine mill.
This company was recognized as having a valuable trade and good will, the following statements in relation thereto appearing in the above-mentioned letter:
The Buckeye selling organization will market a certain number of Buckeye machines each season by reason of the prestige of the Buckeye machines and on account of the standing that a good many of the dealers have in the country. They have always been able to hold some strong dealers and for this reason there is some natural demand for Buckeye machines; and their local selling organization is so generally scattered over the trade that there is a local influence and prestige connected with the sale of the Buckeye machines which is almost entirely lacking in the Acme line.
After the plant of this company was acquired by the International Harvester Co., the manufacture of these Buckeye machines was discontinued and the plant was used for the manufacture of Autowagons, which were first produced in 1907 or 1908 [Actually, 1909, but Autobuggies after the first 100 which were built at in Chicago, were built here starting in 1907-8]. The twine plant at Akron continued to be used for the manufacture of twine for some time, but after 1910 the twine production was discontinued at that place.
The Akron Plant was closed in 1923-24 with the opening of the truck plants in Fort Wayne and Springfield as it was too small and outdated.
IH acquired Chatham (Chatham Wagon Co.) in 1910, for the manufacture of wagons.
(This info from Bill Fageol, who had it because his father and uncle founded Twin Coach in the mid-1920s. They located their plant in Kent, OH because of the availability of skilled workers in nearby Akron because of the closing of that plant.)
Relationship to Aultman-Taylor tractors— Mr. Aultman founded both companies in the 1870s, but they seemed to go their separate ways in the Ag business, no connection between them.